Thursday, February 17, 2005

Green Lantern: Rebirth



Green Lantern: Rebirth
Issue #4 (of 6)
Written by Geoff Johns;
Art and cover by Ethan Van Sciver

I was so excited to get this comic last night, I sat in my car and read it by the dome light. I don't know how many other issues that I can say that about lately.

The book was disappointing and inspiring at the same time. I was expecting much more of an event in this issue. The last page I guess was supposed to be the issue's surprise, but given the title, you're already expecting it.

The one thing that really got me about this issue was the description of using Green Latern's ring. Oliver "Green Arrow" Queen takes a shot at Sinestro with the old piece of finger candy, ends up feeling completely drained and tired and asks Kyle Rayner if that's what happens when you force your will through it. Rayner's response: "Every time."

I like that. Just goes to show that not anyone could be the Green Lantern. The rings ended up on the fingers they did for a reason (though that does beg the question of Guy Gardner. I wish someone would come along and write him well again).

The one thing I disliked (and I'm going to have to spoil the ending on this, so you might not want to read further if you haven't finished the book) was as Hal Jordan returns from the dead (why do you think they called it Rebirth?) the white hair at his temples returned to Brown. Now I understand that they're trying to return Hal Jordan to his former glory, but the graying temples signified everything he'd gone through. Hell and back (literally). Let Hal be a little older and wiser as he returns to the DC Universe.

Now that I've written that, I'm suddenly curious as to how he's going to fit back into the Earth of Detective Comics. He's been gone for a while, and he was a huge villain right before he left.

Makes me eager to pick up the next issue and read it in my car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home