Monday, January 31, 2005

Commercial Interruption

Okay, this is a bit of a random, stupid thing, but it's been bugging me for a while, so I need to talk about it.

There's a commercial for Chili's that I see every time I'm hanging out at my friends Tim and Desiree's place. It's your typical advertisements for one of those type restaurants, but whenever they show the exterior of the building, it's raining.

Why? I don't get it.

This isn't real rain. It's pretty obvious that this is man made rain which means they had to plan it out in advance that it was going to be raining.

Tim says it's supposed to be a regional ad. Portraying somewhere like Seattle.

Desiree says it's supposed to show comfort. Like Chili's is a place to come and feel safe.

They're both good answers, but nothing else about the commercial seems to imply either of those things. Advertisers aren't idiots. They drop millions of dollars into research on how to manipulate people's minds. I'm sure there was a team of psychologists who spent months plotting out that there should be rain outside every shot of Chili's in this commercial.

I wish I knew why.

To me it just makes it seem like the people aren't running into Chili's because they can't wait to dig their teeth into some baby back ribs. They're running into Chili's to get out of the rain. It could be a T.G.I.Fridays' or a Denny's or a Post Office. They just don't want to get soaked.

4 Comments:

At January 31, 2005 at 5:54 PM, Blogger dvl said...

i'm just thankful you didn't mention anything about those damn chili's baby back ribs... you know, the product with the commercial tune that permeates every cell of your body for days like an infectious disease?
dammit. shot myself in the foot.
*sigh*

 
At January 31, 2005 at 5:56 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At February 1, 2005 at 5:17 PM, Blogger dvl said...

thanks for the visual, pat.

 
At February 1, 2005 at 5:18 PM, Blogger dvl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home