Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Committed

Last night I was stuck working on the floor here at the hospital. I dislike doing it and try my best to get out of it (to the point of sometimes calling in sick). But last night I couldn't find any good reason to escape, so I ended up working.

The patients usually go to bed around 9pm, leaving me with two hours to fill before the end of my shift. On Tuesdays, I watch Law and Order: SVU. About 9:45 I settled down with a bag of popcorn and some Gatorade and flipped it on NBC. Being fifteen minutes early, I caught the end of the sitcom leading into my Dick Wolf fix.

The show was called Committed. I'm going to leave a little space for you to come up with your own joke about watching a show called Committed in a mental hospital.








Done? Okay.

I'm not going to say this show was awesome and my new must see tv, but I have to say I was impressed by the story. Basically it was the "morning after" for the show's two characters: Nate (Josh Cooke) and Marni (Jennifer Finnigan). They attempt to have a romantic time but run into Marni's father who abandoned her as a child. Now come on. That's a heck of a plot. The jokes weren't insanely hilarious (there was a good bit about leaving messages as the pick up names for coffee and sandwiches) and there was a horrible side story (the respect you gain by carrying a baby bag), but I admire a show that doesn't get stuck in the same plot lines that every show goes through.

Like I said, I don't think this is going to become required watching for me. Checking out the site for the show (http://www.nbc.com/Committed/about/) makes me a little nervous (Marni has a squatter ex clown living in her apartment?). But I do give the show credit for not being one of the countless crappy sitcoms which are opening the door for reality tv to seep in.

Keep trying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home